Sunday, September 4, 2011

Uranus

I figured since I dedicated an entire blog to this strange planet that I better talk about it a little, huh?

I admit I've ignored Uranus for a long time. It rules Aquarius, after all, and I'm not fond of Aquarius. Or haven't been. I guess I better stop saying that. To deny Aquarius is to deny myself. Blah. It's strikingly pretty, though, isn't it? Big and blue, floating out there in the cosmos on its side. On its side! How odd. Like me, I suppose. The first of many eccentricities.

It has some numerological connotations that I can dig. It's the 7th planet from Sol, our sun. 7 of course is a sacred number. It takes about 84 years to orbit the Sun, meaning it also spends about 7 years in each zodiac sign. It has 13 rings. 13 is another sacred number. 13 gets a bad rap in the West, but it is actually found frequently in theology, and is associated with the Divine Feminine (in Christianity it is frequently associated with the Virgin Mary). Uranus also has 27 moons. 27 reduces to 9/3, and 3 is another sacred number. It represents the sacred Triad or Trinity, between Male, Female, and the Divine, or Humanity, Earth, and Divine. Incidentally, the number 9 is my Life Path number and 3 is my Expression Number.

So perhaps this Uranus thing is for me after all...

Uranus was also the first planet discovered via telescope. Those who know me know that I have a deep interest in astronomy and own a telescope :) I don't stargaze as much as I would like, mostly due to time restraints and my location. Incidentally, Uranus is very bright in the sky at the moment in the Northern hemisphere. Perhaps I'll take a peek at it tonight.

Uranus is the Latin name for the Greek god of the heavens and Sky (Ouranos), the father of Saturn (Cronos--time) and the grandfather of Jupiter (Zeus--king of the Gods). Not only does Uranus have rings (don't be ashamed if you thought only Saturn had rings) but it also has a moon named Ariel...Ariel is one of my favorite "A" names for a female. And yes, I have loved that name ever since childhood thanks to The Little Mermaid.

In astrology, Uranus is exalted in Scorpio (which is excellent, since it is placed there in my chart). It rules astrology, the Internet, genius, individuality, new and unconventional ideas, discoveries, electricity, inventions, and the beginnings of the industrial revolution. It governs societies, clubs, and any group dedicated to humanitarian or progressive ideals. It is the planet of sudden and unexpected changes,freedom and originality. In society, it rules radical ideas and people, as well as revolutionary events that upset established structures. As it was discovered in 1781, it coincided with the Romantic movement, which emphasized individuality and freedom of expression. In medicine, Uranus is believed to be particularly associated with the sympathetic nervous system, mental disorders, breakdowns and hysteria, spasms, arthritis, and cramps. It is the modern ruler of Aquarius and the 11th house.

It is also a beautiful sort of electric/turquoise blue in color, very calming and peaceful to look at. It's growing on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment